Monday, October 18, 2010

Classic Apple Crisp


Seeing everyone's Fall recipes for apples, tempted me even more to make this recipe from the Aug. '10 BH&G magazine. I think I used 8 medium sized Golden Delicious apples. I made this in my deep dish pie dish, and even though it was very full when ready to bake, it will sink down after it's done (you can see that in the "cooling off" photo below). This recipe was great, but both Mr. and I agreed that it was rich. I think I am more of a cobbler person myself. Sorry for the night time photos.
(The red rose was included in the photos because I wanted to get my whole $5 worth out of it. We went to a Mexican Rest. days before and suckered myself into buying a rose, from the nice lady walking around sticking them in everyone's faces! (of course I thought she was giving it to me! lol) It did last a good week though!

Classic Apple Crisp
from Better Homes and Gardens

1-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. kosher salt or 1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup unsalted butter, cut in pieces
8 cups peeled apples, sliced 1/2 inch thick
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 to 1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. kosher salt or 1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
Butter for baking dish

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl combine the 1-1/2 cups flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. With your fingers work the butter into the flour mixture until it just begins to cling together. "Work it just past the just crumbly stage," says Scott. The topping can be made in advance, store it for up to a week in the refrigerator or a month carefully wrapped and frozen. "I like to keep some on hand, then make an individual crisp using a single apple baked in a ramekin or custard cup."
2. In a 4-quart bowl toss together apples and lemon juice. "I like my apples a little thicker than for a pie," Scott says. "Slice them too thin and the apples collapse and cook down to sauce. In a small bowl combine the 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, salt, and nutmeg. Use the lesser amount of sugar for sweeter apples, Scott says.
3. Sprinkle apples with sugar-nutmeg mixture, then with your hands, mix together. Heap into a lightly buttered 2-quart baking dish. "Apples collapse a good bit during cooking, so it is important to pile them above the rim of the baking dish," says Scott. "Otherwise you can end up with a sunken crisp." Cover the top of the apples with the crumb mixture, breaking up large pieces as necessary to cover.
4. Cover the crisp first with parchment, then foil. (I just kept mine covered with parchment *ALSO, mine bubbled over, so you might want to place a baking sheet under it) "This eliminates the chance of any 'tin can' flavor into the crisp," Scott says. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Carefully remove foil and paper from the opposite side of the pan (to keep steam away from your face and hands). Return to oven; bake 30 to 40 minutes more or until top is golden and apples are just tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife. To ensure the flour in filling is cooked, bake until thickened juices bubble from the fruit. Let cool 15 to 30 minutes before serving



my mile high apple crisp!

cooling off quickly by the open window (red rose again!)


*please note all product reviews and giveaways are posted here now http://ldylvbgr.blogspot.com/
Follow my new recipe url so you can get all the latest goodies!

enjoy,
Pin It!

1 Comments:

Kirby said...

This sounds really good, I love any apple crisps!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...