Thursday, January 19, 2012

Flourless Caramel Almond Brownies {Gluten Free}


Mmm, almonds and chocolate are my favorite. When I saw this in my magazine, I quickly tore it out and gathered the ingredients to make. Being gluten free now, I don't eat many sweets so this was perfect for my craving. These came out great, however, once the topping sets, it's not all gooey like their photo was. But it still tasted great. So if you want gooey, I suggest eating them soon after you pour the caramel almond topping on. Oh and yes, they say to cut them into 1" servings, because these are RICH. =)


Flourless Caramel Almond Brownies
from Good Housekeeping
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (60 percent to 70 percent cacao), chopped
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
6 tablespoons butter, no substitutions
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 cups roasted, salted chopped almonds
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/3 cup heavy cream, warmed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 8x8-inch baking pan. Line with foil; grease foil.

In 4-quart saucepan, combine chocolates, 4 tablespoons butter, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Melt on medium-low 4 minutes or until smooth, stirring. Remove from heat; stir in 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla. Stir in eggs, 1 at a time, until well blended.

Into same pan, sift cornstarch and cocoa; fold to incorporate. Stir batter vigorously for at least 1 minute or until batter thickens slightly and begins to pull away from sides of pan. Fold in 1 cup chopped nuts. Spread evenly into prepared baking pan. Bake 25 to 27 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from edge comes out almost clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.

While brownie cools, in 4-quart saucepan, stir remaining 3/4 cup sugar, water, corn syrup, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook on medium-high 9 to 12 minutes or until sugar dissolves and mixture is amber, swirling occasionally to get even color. Working quickly, remove from heat and add cream. Once bubbling begins to subside, stir in remaining 2 tablespoons butter until incorporated. Stir in remaining chopped nuts.
Pour caramel over cooled brownie, tilting pan to spread evenly. Let stand at least 2 hours or until caramel has set. Cut into 1-inch squares. Store brownies in airtight container, layered with waxed paper, at room temperature up to 2 days.



~Be sure to follow my recipe blog so you can get all the latest goodies!~

enjoy,
Pin It!

4 Comments:

Leslie said...

I don't think I would have any problem eating these when they are nice and warm!

Mary Bergfeld said...

These sound delicious. I am new to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

Rachel,, that looks awesome..hey swing by my blog http://glassofsweettea.blogspot.com/ and check out the recipe i posted from Elizabeth Hasselbecks Orange Cream Cupcakes.. Im gonna try yours tooooooo..
Have a great day,, thanks for sharing the recipe.

Elena said...

I like your blog and this recipe is perfect for my mom diet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...