Saturday, February 2, 2013

Superfood Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette


OK, the Holidays have passed, out with all the junky sweets and such (I should not be having) and back to the good stuff! We have been sick with a month long cold and cough here and I'm finally starting to feel better, eat better and exercise again. I came across this recipe and thought it sounded great. I really need to develop my taste for that textural issue of quinoa so I gave it another go. I am happy to report, this is one recipe I like! OK but wait. Now I have a pomegranate aril texture issue. I hate the hard crunchy leftover bits, Hmmm. Oh well, this was great, lots of flavors and textures and will be a wonderful lunch on the go. The original recipe called for corn but I added the edamame (another new food to me), but you can add whatever yummies you like.


Superfood Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette 
slightly adapted from Iowa Girl Eats
Serves 5

Salad Ingredients: 
1/2 cup dry quinoa
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
1 orange, peeled and segments chopped
1 avocado, chopped
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup pomegranate arils (about 1 pomegranate worth)
1 cup frozen shelled edamame, thawed
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
salt & pepper
Cooked shrimp

For the Lemon Vinaigrette: 
2 lemons, juiced (1/4 cup juice)
2 garlic cloves, minced
dash of sweetener (agave nectar, honey or white sugar)
salt & pepper
6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
Cook quinoa according to package directions (1/2 cup quinoa + 1 cup water). Set aside to cool.

For the Lemon Vinaigrette:
combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid, and shake to combine.

Combine cooled quinoa with red onion, orange segments, avocado, beans, pomegranate arils, edamame, cilantro, salt and pepper and shrimp. Pour Lemon Vinaigrette over the salad and stir to combine. Serve cold or at room temperature.



Please share this post if you liked it. =)

enjoy,
Pin It!

0 Comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...